Choosing a Pediatrician for Your Delivery at Prentice
When you register for your labor and delivery at Prentice, you must choose a Northwestern Memorial Hospital pediatrician to admit your baby to the hospital. During your stay at Prentice, the NMH pediatrician will examine your baby before he/she is admitted and care for them until it's time to go home.
Please note: The pediatrician who cares for your baby in the hospital does not have to be the same pediatrician who follows your baby after you leave Prentice.
Choosing a Pediatrician for Routine Visits
Choosing the right pediatrician for your baby is an important decision. You'll be visiting the doctor's office frequently in the first year for routine well-baby visits. Making a decision well before your labor and delivery allows for an informed, well-considered choice. It's a good idea to start compiling a list of candidates about four months before your due date. Below are some tips on how to choose the right pediatrician for you and your baby.
How to Choose a Pediatrician:
- Ask your obstetrician or midwife for a recommendation
- Talk to friends, family, and co-workers about who they would recommend
- Consider the location of the pediatrician’s office. Is it close to home or work? Is it accessible by public transportation? Do they offer parking if you drive?
- Inquire about weekday and weekend office hours and if they accept walk-ins.
- Make sure to inquire about insurance and whether they accept yours.
Learn more about our pediatricians clinical interests, insurances accepted, locations, and hours of operation.