What to Bring
The following information is a guide to help you prepare for your hospital stay:
- Labor Bag You may pack music (CDs, tapes), extra pillows, socks, lotion & chapstick/lip gloss.
- Cameras/Videos Picture taking and videotaping are permitted before and after delivery only.
- Cord Blood Kit You must request a collection kit at least 4 weeks before your due date. If you wish to request a cord blood collection kit, please call ITxM Cord Blood Services at 1-877-GIV-CORD or visit the website at www.givcord.org.
- Map and Directions Pack the directions to Prentice, and note the routes you have found to be easiest. Drive to the front door of Prentice, 333 E. Superior St. The door is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Valet and self parking are available.
- Announcement Necessities Bring phone numbers and a calling card for long distance calls.
- Hospital Stay Necessities Robe and slippers, toiletries, nursing bra.
- Mom's Going Home Necessities Bring a comfortable, loose fitting outfit for the ride home
- Baby's Going Home Necessities Baby will need an outfit (appropriate for the weather) and a receiving blanket.
- Car Seat* The Illinois Child Passenger Protection Law requires that every baby ride in a secure car seat. For information on selecting and installing a car seat, visit the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. You can also take a class on proper car seat installation. Remember to assemble the car seat and secure it in your car before you pick up your baby. Hospital staff is not responsible for the installation or instruction of car seat usage.
*You do not need to bring "Going Home Necessities for Mom and Baby" (including the car seat) to the hospital until time for discharge, but it's a good idea to have them ready before you have the baby.