Nursing Awards & Recognition at Northwestern Memorial Hospital
Northwestern Memorial recognizes our nurses' commitment to research, professional development and continually improving patient care.
Nursing Awards at Northwestern Memorial Hospital
Our nurses regularly receive recognition for their continual commitment to excellence.
Congratulations to our 2012 Nursing Spectrum Excellence Awards Finalists:
Jillian Bergner, BSN, RN, NE-BC Patient & Staff Management
Jill Rogers, PhD, RN, NEA-BC Advancing & Leading the Profession
Brenda Schmitz, MS, RN Home, Community & Ambulatory Care
Lisa Williams, MS, RN, AACRN Volunteerism & Service
American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) Annual Magnet Nurse of the Year: Transformational Leadership Cora J. Palmer, BSN, RN-BC, CMSRN
2012 American Organization of Nurse Executives (AONE) President Michelle Janney, PhD, RN, NEA-BC
Senior Vice President and Wood-Prince Family Chief Nurse Executive
Academy of Medical Surgical Nurses - 2011 Chapter of the Year Academy of Medical-Surgical Nurses – Chapter 317. Chicago, IL. September 2011
Cora Palmer, RN, BSN, Chapter President
2011 March of Dimes Jonas Salk Leadership Award in Nursing 14th Jonas Salk Health Leadership Awards Luncheon. Chicago, IL. September 2011
Carol Burke, MSN, APN
United Network for Organ Sharing (UNOS) Winner in Revenue Management/Optimizing Profitability UNOS Transplant Management Forum. Denver, CO. April 2011
Gwen Mc Natt, RN, MS, FNP-BC
- Preventing recurrent cerebrovascular events in patients with stroke or transient ischemic attack: the current data. Journal of the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners. July 2011. Deborah L. Bergman MS, RN, FNP-BC.
- Slide Set Development for : "Vascular Contributions to cognitive Impairment and Dementia Scientific Statement for Healthcare Professionals from the AHA/ASA". Science News Section on AHA Website. July 2011. Deborah L. Bergman MS, RN, FNP-BC.
- Achieving Exceptional Financial Performance through Leadership, Strategy, and Execution. Nursing Economics. July-August 2011. Michelle Janney, RN, PhD, NEA-BC.
- Perioperative Care of the Pregnant Woman: Evidence Based Clinical Practice Guideline. Association of Woman's Health and Neonatal Nurses (AWHONN). June 2011. Carol Burke, MSN, APN.
- Are informed consent forms for organ transplantation and donation too difficult to read?. Clinical Transplantation. May 2011. Gwen Mc Natt, RN, MS, FNP-BC (co-author).
- Pulmonary Issues in a Cancer Patient Presentation at the Oncology Nursing Society. Hartford, CT. November 18, 2011. Susan Collazo, RN, MSN, ACNP.
- Broad Engagement Beyond Nursing as a Measure of Success: An Innovative Magnet Redesignation Strategy Presentation at the National Magnet Conference. Baltimore, MD. October 4-6, 2011. Kristopher Goetz, MA; Michelle Janney, RN, PhD, NEA-BC; Jill Rogers, RN, PhD, NEA-BC.
- No Longer Your Traditional Educator: From Staff Educator to Organizational Leader Presentation at the National Magnet Conference. Baltimore, MD. October 4-6, 2011. Kate O’Brien, RN, BSN, CMSRN.
- Recruitment and Retention: Achieving Exceptional Outcomes through Direct Care Nurse Leadership Presentation at the National Magnet Conference. Baltimore, MD. October 4-6, 2011. Sarah Buenaventura, RN, MSN, CMSRN; Abigail Jones, RN, BSN; Maureen Slade, RN, MS, PMHCNS-BC, NE-BC.
- Facilitating Exemplary Professional Practice through the Work of a Nursing Finance Committee Virtual poster at the National Magnet Conference. Baltimore, MD. October 4-6, 2011. Kelly Marks, RN, BSN; Kristin Ramsey, RN, MSN, MPPM, NE-BC.
Nursing Recognition at Northwestern Lake Forest Hospital
At Northwestern Lake Forest Hospital, we believe that exemplary nursing practice should be recognized and commended. One of the ways we recognize nurses takes place during our annual Nursing Week celebration.
The Nursing Excellence awards are the highlight of Nursing Week. All employees and physicians have the opportunity to nominate the nurse who best exemplifies the attributes of the American Nurses' Association Scope and Standards of Professional Practice. Recipients of these awards are recognized at a special ceremony with all nursing staff, family and friends; they also receive a plaque and individual scholarship award to be used for professional conferences, continuing education (CE) programs, books and journals.
The Jean Ewing Nursing Excellence Award, also known as Nurse of the Year, is also presented during Nursing Week to the nurse who best exemplifies all nine attributes. This award represents Northwestern Lake Forest Hospital's highest level of nursing excellence.
Nursing Week also includes recognition of those who have achieved and maintained specialty certifications throughout the year, as well as the Annual Nursing Mission and Vision "Speci" (Special Presentation of Excellent Caring Individuals) Cup Award Competition where units demonstrate nursing spirit.
View our 2013 Nursing Annual Report.
Consumer Recognition at NLFH
For the past nine years, a consumer study by National Research Corporation (NRC) named Northwestern Lake Forest Hospital the Consumer Choice Hospital for Lake and Kenosha counties for best doctors, best nurses, highest quality and image and most preferred for all health needs. Read more about the award in the Consumer Choice Award press release.